The town remains a collection of residential and commercial buildings dating from the mid-to-late 19th century that retain a good and sometimes outstanding level of architectural integrity. It is a great stop on your way to the coast. It is steeped in history and film lore. A favorite stop for touring motorcyclist heading to the twisting jaw dropping views along highway 1.
The town has a variety of stores, art galleries, restaurants and bar.
Visit Artisans' Co-op with over 50 local artisans. They have a large selection of jewelry, ceramics, clothing, paintings, photography, glass art, fiber art and yarn. The Bodega Landmark Studio has fine art and craft from local artisans. A new gallery has opened called Cypress Gallery and Bazaar.
Check out the antiques at the Sea Gull Antiques on Bodega Ln.
The Bodega Store is now open for business.
Colleens Coffee Shop has organic coffee, breakfast sandwiches and pastries.
Dressmaker shop with clothes designed by Yeunny Mears.
For surf gear go to the Northern Light Surf Shop. The outdoor Oyster Bar at the Casino is a great place to sit outside and have some local BBQ.
The Casino is a great local bar to hang out and have a brew. It is a hang out for some great local chefs who have rotating menus of the best local cuisine. Hog Island oysters, Dungeness crab, Akaushi beef, Salmon, Wild Bay Shrimp, Scallops and more. Nothing fancy about the dining experience just local down home atmosphere. Check in with the bartender and find out who is in the kitchen that night. Check out the chef's menu for the day. Pay for your drinks at the bar and pay the waitress for the food.
Happy Place Heath Yoga has yoga classes, massage and skin care products.
Casino Bar & Grill - Facebook Page
17000 Bodega Hwy, Bodega, California 94922 - (707) 876-3185
Colleen's Coffee Shop - Facebook Page
17175 Bodega Hwy, Bodega, California 94922 - (707) 876-1810
The town of Bodega was known historically as Bodega Corners or Bodega Roads, to distinguish it from the Port of Bodega or Bodega Bay, as it is known today, which is about four miles from Bodega. Bodega and Bodega Bay are named for discoverer of the bay, Juan Francisco Bodega y Caudra, who first sailed into the harbor in 1775. The area was first settled by the Russians, however, who established temporary settlements at Bodega Bay and the Salmon Creek Valley, in the vicinity of Bodega, in 1809. In 1811 they established permanent settlements in Salmon Creek Valley and at Fort Ross, for which Bodega Bay later served as the port. In 1841, however, the Russians negotiated the sale of livestock and equipment and the assets at Fort Ross to John Sutter and left California. Stephen Smith, with whom the town of Bodega is most closely associated, would soon establish his ranch at the Russian settlement of Salmon Creek Village, about a mile northwest of Bodega.
Bodega Bay was located within the Bodega Rancho during the Mexican era, and Bodega Corners was located east of the boundary of that rancho, in the Rancho Estero Americano. The Bodega Rancho was granted to Captain Stephen Smith and Manuela T. Curtis.
Early settler Edward Manuel McIntosh was the claimant for the Estero Americano Rancho,located east of the Bodega Rancho.
The Smith Ranch:
It is estimated that Captain Stephen Smith first visited the Sonoma Coast in 1839 or 1840, when he anchored at Bodega Bay. Smith homesteaded his ranch and constructed his mill, which would be the first steam mill in California. They also built the tannery, which was said to be the first successful tannery in the region and was in operation until it burned in 1868. Smith chose a location for the mill at the edge of the forest, one mile from what would become Bodega Corners. The drift of early settlement in Sonoma County was naturally toward Bodega because, not only the Russian had demonstrated its fitness for agriculture, but Captain Stephen Smith had established himself there and was in a position to assist immigrants in their venture in agricultural pursuits”
The town of Bodega got its start in 1853 when George Robinson, who had been a resident of Bodega Bay, established a saloon at the crossing of three roads, which gave the town its name of Bodega Corners. In addition to the saloon there was a blacksmith shop, a hotel, which later burned down. The first merchants were Donald McDonald and Rositer Bros. The town was situated in the center of a rich dairy country. It continued to grow with several churches, a school-house, a Masonic, Odd Fellows and Good Templars' Lodge. There were three stores, a shoemaker, a blacksmith and wagon shop, one hotel and two private boarding-houses, one livery stable, two physicians, and one butcher-shop. The first school was built in 1866 and the St. Teresa of Avila Church was constructed by a shipwright in 1859, with lumber donated by Jasper O’Farrell.